Addiction Treatment Covered by Cigna Health Insurance
Cigna is a national insurance company that offers a variety of coverage options, including health insurance plans.1 You can get Cigna coverage on your own as an individual or through an employer. This insurance provider operates in 13 different states including Mississippi and surrounding areas in the South.2
If you have Cigna coverage and struggle with substance use, you may wonder if your insurance can help you get the treatment you need. The good news is it can. This guide will show you what your plan may cover, how to use your Cigna rehab coverage to get help, and how to check your benefits.
Does Cigna Cover Substance Use Disorder Treatment?
Yes, Cigna offers health insurance coverage for rehab. Thanks to the Affordable Care Act (ACA), all long-term insurance plans are required to provide at least some coverage for 10 essential health benefits.3 One of these required benefits is mental health and substance use treatment.3
You can also get treatment for co-occurring disorders, which is when you have a mental health disorder and substance use disorder at the same time.4
The specific amount of coverage you’ll receive will depend on the details of your plan, so be sure to verify your insurance before you commit to a program. Providers that are in-network with Cigna, such as Oxford Treatment Center, may result in lower costs for the subscriber.
Which Types of Addiction Treatment Are Covered by Cigna?
There are many types of addiction treatment covered by Cigna. Depending on your plan, some or all of the following types may be covered:5,6
- Detox. While detox is not a treatment in itself, it’s commonly necessary before you can begin treatment. During this process, you’ll be monitored by medical staff as the drugs leave your system and your body adjusts to life without substances.
- Inpatient Treatment. During inpatient treatment, you live full-time at the facility. This frees you from your usual routines and lets you create new habits that allow you to live without substance use. Inpatient treatment generally includes individual and group therapy, recreation activities, and more.
- Outpatient Treatment. Outpatient treatment allows you to live at home while you attend treatment several times a week. As a result, patients can continue to work or attend school while also recovering from substance use. Outpatient treatment is less intensive than inpatient and can be a transitional program for those that have graduated from inpatient treatment.
- Aftercare. Once you’ve completed treatment, it’s important to maintain your new habits and stay clean so you can enjoy a happy, healthy life. Aftercare programs give you the support you need to maintain your new choices as you transition back to daily life.
How to Use Cigna Health Insurance to Pay for Rehab
To use Cigna health insurance to pay for rehab, you’ll want to first verify your insurance coverage. While the ACA requires insurance plans to offer at least some coverage for substance use treatment, the actual coverage amount will vary based on the details of your plan.
The easiest way to verify your coverage is by completing our confidential . In just a few minutes, our admissions navigators can review your information and let you know what to expect in terms of coverage and out-of-pocket costs.
Oxford Treatment Center is in-network with Cigna, and we are happy to answer your questions and walk you through the process of using Cigna for rehab.
If you find that your insurance doesn’t pay the full cost of treatment, don’t worry. There are many ways to pay for rehab when you have out-of-pocket expenses. For example, you may be eligible for financing or flexible payment plans.
The main thing is that you don’t delay treatment. Substance use can cause long-term health and legal problems, and it’s vital to get the help you need before it’s too late.
Benefits of Using Cigna to Pay for Rehab
The benefit of using Cigna to pay for drug and alcohol rehab in Mississippi is that the insurance plan can cover some or all of the costs of treatment. This makes treatment more accessible and allows you to get the help you need to live a substance-free life.
Any treatment costs you may be responsible for will depend on your plan benefits and can include the following:7
- Deductible: The set amount you pay for covered medical expenses before the insurance begins sharing the cost.
- Coinsurance: The determined percentage of covered medical expenses you pay after your deductible is met. Your insurance plan pays the rest. Some Cigna plans offering rehab coverage in Mississippi have a 0% coinsurance for substance use treatment, meaning your plan pays 100% of the costs after you meet the deductible.
- Copays: Certain plans have fixed amounts you pay for doctor visits, other medical services, and prescriptions.
To keep your costs as low as possible, it is important to use a provider that is in-network with Cigna. Fortunately, Oxford Treatment Center is not only a rehab that takes Cigna, but it is an in-network provider with Cigna.
Substance use is common in Mississippi. Between 2017 and 2019, an annual average of 58,000 Mississippi residents over age 12 struggled with illicit drug use disorder in the past year, while 107,000 fought alcohol use disorder in the past year.8 If you misuse substances, you’re certainly not alone.
To verify your insurance benefits and start the admissions process, simply complete the form below. We’ll reach out to you shortly.
American Addiction Centers (AAC) is committed to delivering original, truthful, accurate, unbiased, and medically current information. We strive to create content that is clear, concise, and easy to understand.
While we are unable to respond to your feedback directly, we'll use this information to improve our online help.